Part I Vocabulary and Structure (1×40 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE that best completes the sentence, and then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. In order to search for the escaped prisoner, the police decide to question______comes along this road.
A. who B. whom
C. whoever D. whomever
2. Albert Einstein often stressed to interviewers that his accomplishments would certainly have been achieved by others______lived.
A. he had never B. never had he
C. never he had D. had he never
3. Some companies have introduced flexible working time with less emphasis on pressure ______.
A. and more on efficiency B. and more efficiency
C. than efficiency D. than more on efficiency
4. They are going to have the serviceman______an air-conditioner in the office next week.
A. install B. to install
C. to be installed D. installed
5. More and more people begin to realize that it is about time the government______further measures to control pollution.
A. must take B. is taking C. takes D. took
6. While crossing the mountain areas, all the men had guns for protection lest they______ by the local bandits.
A. be attacked B. were attacked
C. must be attacked D. would be attacked
7. The manager promised to keep me______of how our business was going on.
A. to be informed B. on informing
C. informed D. informing
8. ______mirror the ideas and opinions of women in the United States in the later part of the 1800s.
A. Whether the novels of Mary Jane Homes
B. The novels by Mary Jane Homes
C. Mary Jane Homes wrote novels
D. Why Mary Jane Homes wrote novels
9. ______my father wants to do after he retires is to write a book.
A. Which B. That C. What D. Those
10. The speed______light travels is said to be the maximum in the universe.
A. by which B. from which C. in which D. at which
11. Steven______my letter: otherwise he would have replied before now.
A. has receivedB. should have received
C. couldn't t have receivedD. ought to have received
12. Your hair wants______. You' d better have it done tomorrow.
A. to cut B. cutting C. cut D. being cut
13. Tom can't speak Chinese, but Peter______.
A. do B. does C. did D. done
14. All those are matters_____attention.
A. is worthy B. worthy C. worthy of D. which is worthy of
15. But for your help, I______.
A. can have failed again
B. may have failed again
C. will have failed again
D. would have failed again
16. Mr. Grant______in Hangzhou since 2006. He loves this city.
A. has been living B. lived
C. will be living D. will have been living
17. They were in______when they left that they forgot the airline tickets.
A. a rush so anxious B. a such anxious rush
C. such an anxious rushD. so an anxious rush
18. Under no circumstances______our car.
A. they are borrow B. are they to borrow
C. they will borrow D. could they be borrowing
19. You're going to the United States next year. You should now practice______English as much as possible.
A. speak B. to speak C. speaking D. spoke
20. All flights______because of the snowstorm, we decided to take the train.
A. were canceled
B. had been canceled
C. having canceled
D. having been canceled
21. Only one little boy______the accident: everyone else was killed.
A. survived B. submitted C. suffered D. succeeded
22. I don't know whether what he said is true, but I'll try to______it.
A. confine B. confess C. conform D. confirm
23. My camera can be______to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.
A. treated B. adjusted C. adopted D. remedied
24. Children who are over protected by their parents may become______.
A. hurt B. damaged C. spoiled D. harmed
25. I think the whole paper has to be rewritten: only the first few paragraphs may be______.
A. sustained B. contained C. retained D. maintained
26. The boat______, throwing the boys into the water.
A. turned on B. turned down C. turned off D. turned over