Part I Vocabulary and Structure (1x40 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE that best completes the sentence, and then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. Let’s walk to the shops instead of taking the car, ______?
A. shall we B. don’t we C. will we D. won’t we
2. The travel agency is arranging for us ______ at a really nice hotel.
A. stay B. of stayingC. to stayD. staying
3. I wouldn’t want ______ of my parents to know I have a boyfriend.
A. either B. anyC. neitherD. none
4. I am beginning to think that ______ people say about him is true.
A. which B. this C. what D. \
5. I ______ the whole of War and Peace by the time I was seven years old.
A. was reading B. had read C. had been reading D. had been read
6. Paul is a real introvert in contrast ______ his brother Andrew.
A. with B. by C. to D. against
7. If I ______ lottery, I’d give some of the money to each member of my family.
A. win B. have won C. will D. won
8. Medicine should not be kept ______ it is approachable to children.
A. when B. where C. which D. that
9. Most people are ______ in a dentist’s office than in a doctor’s office.
A. obviously nervous B. more obviously nervous
C. obviously more nervous D. more nervous obviously
10. If we ______ enough rain last year, we could have gained a good harvest.
A. have B. had C. have had D. had had
11. We ______ today and I got into trouble because I hadn’t done it.
A. had checked our homework B. had our homework checked
C. were checked our homework D. have checking our homework
12. Bill asked me why ______ to go shopping with me.
A. I hadn’t invited him B. hadn’t invited him
C. I hadn’t him invited D. hadn’t him invited
13. After finishing her course, Rachel went on ______ a well-known lawyer.
A. to become B. becoming
C. to becoming D. become
14. This is the book in ______ Foster described his experience of the war.
A. that B. what C. where D. which
15. Never ______ a greater day in the history of mankind.
A. did there be B. was there
C. there was D. there has been
16. Gymnastics ______ to activities which requires skill such as speed and adaptability.
A. is referring B. refers C. referred D. has referred
17. Apple ______ to have put a lot of effort into developing wireless ear-buds.
A. said B. it is said C. has said D. is said
18. There are ______ Chinese restaurants in New York City as in Boston.
A. twice as many B. twice as much
C. as twice many D. as twice much
19. The old temple ______ roof was damaged in a storm is now under repair.
A. where B. which C. its D. whose
20. The engineers are so busy that they don’t have time for outdoor sports activities, ______ they have the interests.
A. wherever B. whenever C. even if D. as if
21. Researchers have ______ to the conclusion that your personality is affected by your genes.
A. come B. got C. reached D. arrived
22. She kept practicing ______ she could win the National Speaking Competition.
A.to B.in order to C. so that D. because of
23. Carl wasn't very good at mountain climbing as he's afraid of ______.
A. highs B. heights C. highness D. heightening
24. Harry and Sam both denied that the fight was their ______.
A. blame B. criticism C. cause D. fault
25. The government should do more for ______ people.
A. usual B. everyday C. ordinary D. typical
26. Some drugs produce bad side ______.
A. consequences B. results C. products D. effects
27. It is wise to ______ your property against storm damage.
A. insure B. assure C. reassure D. ensure
28. Joe told me a joke today but I didn’t ______ it at all.
A. get B. bring C. collect D. fetch